Museum & Archives Internship Opportunity
The Leelanau Historical Society & Museum is the leading historical organization that connects all generations to the history of the Leelanau Peninsula and its peoples. The Leelanau Historical Society, founded in 1957, is an established non-profit that achieves its mission through a museum and gift shop, research center, extensive archives, public programs, workshops, and other educational experiences. The collection is ever growing and the artifacts within help illustrate the peninsula’s history of Anishinaabek arts, maritime and logging history, agriculture, European Settlements, and early tourism.
The Leelanau Historical Society is seeking a college student or emerging professional for a Summer 2023 Internship. The internship will be an immersive museum experience. The intern will gain experience in archival processes – assisting with the ongoing digitization of the LHS collection of historical photographs, documents, and artifacts. The intern will also learn to utilize a variety of resources for historical research, working with Archives staff as needed for exhibits and programs. The intern will also learn front-of-house operations – greeting the public and basic gift shop operations. No prior museum experience is necessary.
- Archiving using PastPerfect museum software
- Collections care and artifact handling
- Photographing and/or scanning archival documents
- Research within the collection
- Greeting museum visitors and answering their questions
- Ringing up gift shop sales
- Exhibit research, design, and installation
- Set up of special events and assistance with the operation of the event
- Ideally 12-16 week internship beginning May/June 2023 (Will accept applicants with shorter availability.)
- 18-22 hours per week
- Some weekend and evening hours are required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Professional demeanor
- Experience using Microsoft Windows computers
- Well organized with attention to detail and ability to carry out tasks independently
- Ability to multitask and meet deadlines
APPLICATION DEADLINE: April 30th, 2023
To apply please send a resume, cover letter, and letter of recommendation to:
Kim Kelderhouse, Executive Director | Leelanau Historical Society & Museum
email@example.com | 231-256-7475